: [Meekee] Artwork Collection [4 In 1]
The South Shore Arts fall exhibit will feature a career retrospective of celebrated local artist and educator Barbara M. Meeker. The artist has graciously designated all sales of her artwork from the exhibit to benefit South Shore Arts and Hospice of the Calumet Area.
: [Meekee] Artwork Collection [4 in 1]
In 1965, Meeker joined the staff of Purdue University Northwest, where she taught as a professor in the Department of Architectural Technology for 25 years. During her time at Purdue, she developed new courses in freehand drawing for architecture and engineering programs. At the time, she was the only artist on staff, and her students were almost all male engineers. The school had no other art programs, so Meeker built and coordinated an art gallery where she created a collection of artworks for the university and worked to create public art pieces on campus. She was honored as a Professor Emerita of Architectural Technology for her excellent services.
OVER ONE HUNDRED YEARS AGO, William Henry Meeker lost his life on an aviation training field in Pau, France. This book is a collection of letters his parents had printed in 1917 titled His Book. The original private printing was limited to 150 hard covered books.
The works in this exhibition are drawn from the Johnson Collection, founded by George Dean Johnson, Jr. and Susan (Susu) Phifer Johnson of Spartanburg, South Carolina. The Johnsons are passionate philanthropists committed to enhancing the educational environment and cultural vibrancy of their hometown, state, and region. Their collection began as an interest in paintings by Carolina artists in 2002, and has since grown to encompass more than eight hundred objects with provenances that span the centuries and chronicle the cultural evolution of the American South.
During his career, Meeker exhibited in 90 one-man shows, and was recognized as one of the outstanding printmakers in the United States. Professor Meeker also served as a Juror for prestigious competitions, contributed to numerous publications, and catalogued over 180 prints. His sculpture and prints appear in over 100 collections throughout the world which include, in part: Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York; Museum of Modern Art, New York; Whitney Museum of American Art, New York; National Gallery of Art, Washington D.C.; Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C.; Milwaukee Art Center; Walker Art Center, Minneapolis; Victoria and Albert Museum, London.
Entire collection can be viewed on the Libraries' Digital Collections website. Permission of Visual Materials Curator is required to view originals. Contact Special Collections for further information.
The collection consists of portraits of Ezra Meeker, as well as photographs of him with other Northwest pioneers. In addition, there are photographs of Meeker in various Puyallup locations, along with images documenting his efforts to gain support for the preservation of the Oregon Trail. Postacrd set of Ezra Meeker, the Oregon Trail and related activities.
This collection was transferred from the Meeker Portrait File, 2005; Item 35 transferred from Accession 4632-001. 23 photographic postcards transferred from Granville Haller Collection PH Coll 1372, 2016.
For six decades, Lehman built upon an art collection that his father began at their 7 West 54th Street house in 1911. Lehman devoted a great deal of time and energy as a long-time member of the Board of Trustees of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and finally becoming the first chairman of the board at the Metropolitan in the 1960s. The importance of his collection became such that in 1957, nearly three hundred works were used for a solo exhibition at the Louvre Museum's Musée de l'Orangerie in the Tuileries Gardens in Paris. At that time, his was the only private American collection to be given that honor. In 1968 he received an honorary Doctor of Humane Letters from Yale University for having "enhanced the civic life, the culture, and the artistic development of our civilization."
After his death in 1969, the Robert Lehman Foundation donated close to 3,000 works of art to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, including Henri Matisse, Francisco Goya, Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, Édouard Vuillard, Auguste Rodin, André Dunoyer de Segonzac, Maurice de Vlaminck, and Suzanne Valadon. Housed in the Robert Lehman Wing, which opened to the public in 1975, the museum has called it "one of the most extraordinary private art collections ever assembled in the United States." To this day, the foundation remains active, operating the Robert Lehman Art Lecture Fund and sponsoring exhibitions in museums, both around the U.S. and worldwide. The foundation also provides funding and support for PBS television programming. The Robert Lehman Art Center at Brooks School in North Andover, Massachusetts, is named in his honor.
NOMA is committed to preserving, interpreting, and enriching its collections and renowned sculpture garden; offering innovative experiences for learning and interpretation; and uniting, inspiring, and engaging diverse communities and cultures.
US Topo maps are updated on a three-year production cycle (maps covering one third of the country are updated each year). The US Topo production schedule follows the U.S. Department of Agriculture's National Agricultural Imagery Program (NAIP) collection schedule. This does not include US Topos for Alaska, which are on a different schedule. The linework features shown on the maps are generated...
The collection encompasses important holdings of American, Native American, European, African, and Melanesian art, including a significant collection of indigenous Australian contemporary art and a major archive of photojournalism. Among the collection's greatest treasures are the ninth-century BCE Assyrian stone reliefs and the fresco mural cycle The Epic of American Civilization (1932-34), by José Clemente Orozco.
The study of objects, whether works of art, artifacts, or natural history specimens, has always been an integral part of the curriculum of Dartmouth College. The first reference to the development of a collection at Dartmouth dates to 1772, when Anglo-American scholar and missionary David McClure wrote to the first president of the College, the Reverend Eleazar Wheelock, that he had "collected a few curious Elephant Bones found about six hundred miles down the Ohio, for the young Museum at Dartmouth." While most of the natural history collections were transferred to a science museum before the Hood Museum of Art was built in 1985, there remains a diverse collection that allows the Hood, as a teaching museum, to respond effectively to the College's emphasis on experiential learning.